The Morro Bay Bird Festival is a unique annual ecotourism event that promotes the education and enjoyment of California's Central Coast birds and wildlife. The festival takes place January 13-16, 2023, and includes various events for adults and children to enjoy.
The Morro Bay Winter Bird Festival highlights over 200 bird species around the bay and offers 160 different events, including birding and photography tips, wildlife cruises, workshops, and so much more.
You can keep up your energy between festival events by enjoying some of the best brunches in Morro Bay on each festival day. So, plan to attend the festival and support Morro Bay birds and businesses!
Morro Bay Bird Festival Schedule
You can select from 45 workshops, classes, walking tours, cruises, and the opening reception on Friday, the festival's first day. Saturday is a big day with 53 activities on the schedule, which include the Keynote Event with David Allen Sibley and a full list of birding and nature walks, cruises, workshops, and master classes.
Sunday has 48 events, such as building a bird box, advanced bird photography, beginner birding, and searching for rare bird species. The evening ends with Dinner with David Allen Sibley and Friends for an upcharge.
Monday has 14 events to end the festival, including Birding & Wine at Halter Ranch, Birding by Kayak, Bay Birding Photo Cruise, and Los Osos Hot Spots Walking Tour.
Important Bird Festival Information
Here are the latest festival tips and info to remember:
- All field trips run, rain or shine
- To decrease HQ overcrowding before events, many trip meeting locations are elsewhere (noted when you register)
- You can use the Bobolink App for event registration and availability, tracking schedules, receiving trip meeting locations, updates, and more
- Arrive at meeting locations 10 minutes before starting time
- You can check in early at the Inn at Morro Bay, 60 State Park Road, on Thursday, January 12, 2023, from 3-6 p.m.
- Check-in and registration start at 6:00 a.m. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and 6:45 a.m. Monday at Festival Headquarters, Morro Bay Community Center, 1001 Kennedy Way
- You must pick up all pre-ordered lunches at Community Center HQ between 6 a.m. and noon
Bird Festival Bazaar Information
The 2023 Bird Festival Bazaar is open to the public and will feature 18 vendors and organizations focusing on birds, nature, and original artwork. Stop by and shop for books, clothing, jewelry, binoculars, pottery, photography, and so much more.
The Bazaar hours are:
- Friday - 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. (The Opening Reception is 5-6:30 p.m. and is a private event)
- Saturday - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday - 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Location: Morro Bay Community Center, 1001 Kennedy Ave, Morro Bay
Bird Festival Registration Fees
Registration for the Festival is free for kids up to 17 years of age. For adults, the fees are as follows:
- Full Registration (includes non-fee events) - $156
- One-day Registration (events on that day only) - $82
- Monday One-day Registration - $41
Optional Event Registration Fees
- David Allen Sibley's Book: (signing during the event) "What it's like to be a bird" - $35
- T-shirt (Women's & Men's) - $24
- Box lunch (choice of meat, veggie, or gluten-free meat or veggie) - $16
- Dinner with David Allen Sibley and Friends - $120
All participants must register and display their event passes. Kids 12 and under must have adult supervision during all events.
Registration Options and Tips
The easiest way to participate in the Bird Festival is to register for events online, starting November 5, 2022, at 8 a.m. Organizers suggest online signup for popular events as there may not be available if you wait to register in person at HQ during the festival.
You can pay for events through Paypal but do not need a Paypal account if you select the gray box "pay with credit or debit card."
Plan and organize your Festival event schedule using the "Plan your trip" utility through the online registration portal.